Python 3.10 and LibreSSL

From: Muhammad Herdiansyah
To: dev
Just a heads-up: according to PEP 644 [1][2], from 3.10, Python3 will
only support OpenSSL 1.1.1 APIs and above, and all present workaround
for LibreSSL in Python will be removed, however while they won't
actively block LibreSSL checks (unlike elfutils and their
hate^H^H^H^Hissue with Clang, and thankfully I can build the latest
master without issues BUT there's no libressl dependency anymore), we've
yet to see if this has any impacts on building (main) packages depending
on Python, whether it is a makedepend or true dependency.

While Python on KISS doesn't have an *explicit* dependency on libressl,
as of Python 3.9 (at least in Wyverkiss) it is added on fixdeps stage,
so we might want to take a look.

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0644/
[2] https://bugs.python.org/issue43669

Re: Python 3.10 and LibreSSL

From: Dilyn Corner
To: dev
On Mon Apr 26, 2021 at 9:45 AM EDT, Muhammad Herdiansyah wrote:
> Just a heads-up: according to PEP 644 [1][2], from 3.10, Python3 will
> only support OpenSSL 1.1.1 APIs and above, and all present workaround
> for LibreSSL in Python will be removed, however while they won't

Big fan of how the Rejected Ideas list does NOT include supporting a very
closely compatible version of a popular piece of software for less than five
modules.

> yet to see if this has any impacts on building (main) packages depending
> on Python, whether it is a makedepend or true dependency.

Yeah, python only requires ssl/crypto for a few modules; I can't imagine
maintaining patches for them would be insane, just annoying... I think not
providing them would be dumb, but what I know of how python builds, it will
simply skip modules it can't build if they're not specified in Setup.local.

Looking at the list of packages in the main repository, the only one I could
think of that might make use of the impacted python modules is rust. So that's
nice at least. Community might be a trickier story.

Thanks for bringing this up; I'll have to pay close attention to it. Guess we'll
just have to show those Gentoo and Void folx it ain't that hard!

Dilyn